Creators and small businesses want to build an audience. But how many people do we actually need? Should we aim to get a million followers on Instagram?
Or should we listen to legends like Kevin Kelly and Seth Godin, and just focus on building 1000 true fans? In this episode, Shyam and I talk about the drawbacks of chasing a big market and the advantages of obsessing over 1000 true fans.
Talking points –
- The problem with mass marketing and interrupting people
- How mass marketing needs big budgets
- You don’t need to be a mass-market brand. You can continue being a brand for just 1000 people.
- How do you define 1000 true fans?
- The financial viability of 1000 true fans